Saturday, February 12, 2005

Northup, Ohio Cemetary

Guys;
I had such a wonderful day. When I got up this morning it was gray and blustery with a skiff of new-fallen snow. I thought about just staying tucked in my cozy Motel and then decided it would truly be a waste. I headed out the door, then came back to get my new Atlas to make some decisions. 10 hours to Norfolk, Virginia. Could easily be done, but better to wait for a Friday afternoon so I could figure on getting in there and get a motel Friday and Saturday night, driving home on Sunday. Then too, I should really contact Larry and Alllison before going. Similar thoughts about Abbe and the Haberman boys. Actually, I could get to Pittsburg any afternoon after work, so why waste a week-end??
So off I did hie to Galiopolis down the mighty Ohio. A very scenic drive up and down the hills and around every bend of the river for 200 miles. By the time I got to Galiopolis the sun was coming out full and it was a balmy 55 degrees at the cemetary and dry enough to lie down and study the stones. The little town of Northup is about eight miles down the road past Galiopolis. I had a bit of trouble finding the cemetary. It is a good mile past town down a quiet lane that leads directly past to a farmhouse., and is used primarily as his drive way. No trouble at all finding the town.
It is a nice little quiet town on a busy Creek (or Run, as they are called in Southern Ohio). Too bad I forgot my camera. It would have been a really lovely shot in the bright afternoon sun.
I found quite a few Northups, but they were mostly children. The one adult that stood out was Hannah, wife of
George Vernon Northup . She was born Hannah Gilbert on July 4, 1809 and died Aug 3, 1888. Her stone was very large and quite legible. A lot of them were almost impossible to read without taking some bleach out there to clean off the fungus.
I have been wanting to visit the Northup Cemetary for a long time. Doug Northup, husband of Kari Dye is descended from this branch of Northups and also this branch of Gilberts. I have been in repeated contact with Kari over the years since I started doing Northup Genealogy.
Rick

18 comments:

Rawknee said...

Rickie Tickie Tackie
After church I read your blog. What a day you've had sounds like alot of fun. Many places to see. I got carried away and deleted my pansy cause I decided it was too big, and The name was too long, so I deleted it to rename then resize a new one. then I realyzed that it had worked.
Rawkneepee

Rick Northup said...

RawKnee, You're so Kewl and funkified. What's yer "Hello" Handle?? I invited RawKnee to be my Friend. Do you think it will work?? I don't know anyone else to invite.

Anonymous said...

I would like to visit that site sometime, along with the New York and Rhode Island family sites. Katy Kid

Rawknee said...

Yep it shore did work you are my freind and I sent you a chat but you didn't answer so now I need to ask you to be my freind too.
Raknee

Rawknee said...

Rickie
Did you see that the T'wolves fired Flip today? It's a tough business the NBA.
Rawkneepee

Rick Northup said...

No, I did not see that, You Pansy. But I did see that the Vikes are trading Randy. It's a tough business, the NFL.

NorthRock said...

well isn't this all interesting...
I really don't understand why u wouldn't just drive on out one weekend as I have gotten a schedual where I am off nights and weekends now.( Senority has it's privledges )well I too have my own blog site not that I will use it much... he he he looks sort of like a website that is easy to post messages too. what does blog mean anyway? I have yahoo mail working better now it all stays at yahoo and alerts me when a new letter is recieved. this way I can jump over and read while playing spades or whatever. much more effeciant <_SP? anyhow still haven't gotten a contract on our house but the new house being built is just about done. you could come see it for yourself dad, perhaps help us with ideas as to where the stairwell should go. ahh heck you could actually come up this spring and actually help me do some work on it...hint hint..we are sappose to close on the 15th of april assumeing we sell ours...we thought we could drop our house $5,000 to help it sell.

NorthRock said...

ohh and by the way yahoo id is northuplarry so u can add me anytime for chat....almost always online now that it is dsl and can still get phone calls...

NorthRock said...

dog gone it...

forgot my blog name

http://northrockhead.blogspot.com

not much to look at yet

NorthRock said...

hey u don't need a link 2 my blog site... just click my name...

NorthRock said...

Hey Rick....I woke up this morning to Larry "blogging" and noticed your statement about possibly coming this way one weekend. Dont get a hotel, come stay with us. There is no need to get a hotel when you can just stay here with us! Our number is 804-642-1119 at home and Larry's cell is 757-672-2748, so let us know what you are planning! Hope to see you soon!

Allison

Rawknee said...

Good morning you Two Rock headed bloggers, So Larry you found your way on here two.
Where did you see that the Vikes traded Randy? I'd heard it as a rumor last week, Say it isn't so.
Rawknee

NorthRock said...

heard that rumor about randy too...

Rawknee said...

Looks like you are bouncing around from one blog to the other. Where are you Larry. Good to see that we can make the connection. I wonder what Rick is up to now probably went out for a bite.
Rawknee

Rawknee said...

I hope that it is just a rumor, Randy really makes that team. With out him our offense would be just so so. And unless we get a lot in the trade how could it make the defense that much better.
Rawknee

NorthRock said...

trying to get my blog edited and having problems...then checking other sites for new posts

Rawknee said...

Hey I see you've left. Make sure you share all the info you learn about blogging so we don't have to learn from our mistakes.
Rawknee

NorthRock said...

I am back again..was washing the cars