Tuesday, March 15, 2005

SHUT UP


and Listen

Did I get your attention?? The purpose of this BLOG is Alternatives to the Usual. My Alternative today is about Carbs. Didn't you get the message yet about Carbs?? "But I Love Pasta!!", You say...No you don't...You love what goes on pasta. Just try this. Promise me you will just try. It can't hurt. One time, give it a shot. Go buy a pound of good red hamburger, your favorite meaty Sphaghetti sauce and a package of your favorite vegetables. Since we are talking Italian, here, I suggest you use Green Giant Italian Style Vegetables. Broccoli and Red Peppers in an Olive Oil and Garlic flavored sauce. Now forget the pasta, OK?? Brown the meat like you always do. I always start with a little olive oil in the pan, so it don't stick too bad and it gives it some extra flavor. I always buy the very best virgin olive oil. Pamper yourself here. Now stir in the vegetables, let it simmer just a bit and then add the Sauce. It's already cooked, just get it simmering again. Now this makes a couple good sized plates full plus about the same amount to put in the fridge and save for tomorrow. This is good stuff, Guys. Since you aren't getting any carbs with it, you can eat as much as you want and you won't get heart-burn...I promise. All the good stuff with none of the bad. (The Doctors will tell you just the opposite. Just ignore them...What do they know??)

6 comments:

Rawknee said...

Rickie Tickie
I agree, the Spaggehtee, Macaroni, Pasta, White bread, Pizza chrust,and of course white sugar, this is what is killing america, and making us obese.
Rawkneepee

Beth said...

my problem is the cost of meat these days.... pasta is cheap and goes a long ways to feed the kids...maybe when we butcher the pigs and get the garden goine out in pv it will be much easier

Di said...

Sounds great, Rick. I agree. You have the right Idea, Beth. Better than Pork is home grown Chickens and a young venison or two for the freezer and you're set for the winter. Ground venison without the fat is easty to get used to.
Aunt Di

J.M. Northup said...

I have to admit that I understand the whole "low carb" crazy, but I cannot really commit to the whole concept. Something just seems remiss about depriving yourself of something for weight-loss sake. Even doctors will tell you that denying yourself items tends to make you over-eat it when you relapse.
I think that you are right about trying alternatives to so many carbs and I think the meat suggestion is good. However, not all can actually tolerate a large amount of meat in their diets due to digestive issues. Also, I still find it hard to handle the starvation of the body for things...
I think that it all needs to be a balance.
I think that if you find a way to balance good dietary habits with exercise, then you don't have to deprive yourself. It is all about moderation and portioning... of course, this excludes special dietary needs as well.
I am not trying to cause conflicts or to minigate the benefits of such dieting, but I just think that we have to look at the personal needs of the individual trying to take on the various dietary ideals.
Love to all and may GOD guide you to what is right you each of you...

Beth said...

I agree with Ron in that high carb lifestyles is what is killing america today. If you think about the average overweight american, which face it is just about everyone according to doctors, they tend to eat a lot of carbs. Potatoes specifically I think the world could be better without. Granted the body does need a certain amount of carbs as well as every nutrient, but potatoes have the most and many people eat way too much tatoes. There is actually an antinutrient in potatoes that is much worse for us than the carbs are. It is a toxin that is not killed by cooking, deep frying included. It is really bad for people and I'm trying my hardest to figure out why God made potatoes if indeed he did then why are they so bad for us. Maybe we aren't supposed to eat them, maybe they have a different purpose. Be careful eliminating carbs from your diet as this could also cause problems with energy change and digestion. If you are going to lower your carb intake, which is a good idea for most, do so slowly and let your body get used to as you go.

Rick Northup said...

Good Point, Beth. The problem with potatoes is the same problem with tomatoes and peppers, although strangely different, since we eat the fruit of the tomato and pepper and the tuber of the potato. They all are members of the Nightshade family. Many members of this family are out and out poisonous, and many others are edible, however, they have strong dietary concerns, as you mention. Children can not eat tomatoes for many years after birth. Many people are never able to eat certain peppers.