Thursday, June 16, 2005

Booing at a Special Olympics

Dan said something today that has stuck with me and got me to thinking about some things. He said something about Triumph the Insult Comic Dog, covering the Jackson Trial. The quote is: "Criticizing the Jackson media is like booing at the special olympics." This sort of went "Clunk" with me when he said it, but I had to think about it a while and then I did a Search and found out the saying originated with Wanda Sykes on Jay Leno, who says, "You can't not like Bush - that's like booing at the special olympics."
There are all sorts of places you could use this statement. Of course, Dan simply thought it was amusing, and apparently, he is a big fan of Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog. I had never heard of him, but that is sort of irrevelent. Lately, I have noticed I am pretty quick to judge others when probably I am displaying my own faults by doing so. I was telling Donna how I figured out how to cut off those guys who always go flying by you when they know the two lanes are going to become one in 1/3 mile and they've driven that road a thousand times and all the people patiently waiting in line while about a hundred cars pass and squeeze in ahead of them. I said, I just sort of drift over and hog both lanes so no one can get ahead of me and they have to wait until it is their natural turn. Would you believe she actually took the side of the other guy and thought I was the rude one?? It is a sort of wake-up call. I have had enough people tell me lately I am a lousy driver that I have thought maybe I should take it to heart and quit driving. I thought my Dad stubbornly kept at it long after he should have been banned from the road, but in a way, I secretly admired his obstinate nature and see a good deal of my own personality reflected in the dark pools of his past existence. It was in 1981, I believe that I lost that one eye and the depth perception was immediately known to be a handi-cap. It took many months before I felt comfortable behind the wheel, and I was amazed that Lucent Technologies would want an old worn out One-Eye with bad teeth on the payroll. I have been back with them long enough to perceive that they still value me very highly, but maybe it is time I hang it up and go putter in the garden, which was my first love and my greatest passion. I turn 61 tomorrow. I thought for sure I would at least hang around for minimum pension, but now I am not so sure I will make it. I will at least finish the job I am presently responsible for and take the Alaska Cruise that I went into hock to be able to afford and see what lies ahead.

1 comment:

Rick Northup said...

Well, minimum retirement with Lucent is 20 years. I only have 14, even adding in what I had before with Western Electric. Of course, I am eligible for minimum Social Security in June, when I turn 62, but I don't consider that retirement. In the meantime, this Landscaping at the house up North is cutting into my retirement money, but hopefully, the idea is, it will give me a retirement income, so anything can happen next year.