Monday, February 14, 2005

The Upper Ohio Valley

I wanted to talk a little more about the Upper Ohio Valley, where I am presently working. The attached link shows you a few Photos of the Upper Ohio, chiefly Steubenville. The first one at the top of the page is the Veteran's Memorial Bridge at Steubenville. I thought it was astronomical. There are no less than three bridges crossing the Ohio at this point, but this one is the newest, built in 1990. There are photos here of the other two, as well.

We will be working in Steubenville in a few short weeks, when we are done in Wellsville and East Liverpool. I still haven't figured out the meaning of the East part, as it suggests there is a Liverpool to the West, but there isn't, and E. Liverpool is on the West side of the river. Another puzzling town I have not yet figured out is called Shadyside, and doesn't that suggest there must be a Sunnyside, as well?? Well, there isn't and naturally, following the Upper Ohio pattern, Shadyside seems to me to be on the sunny side of the River, being on the NorthWest side of the river and would catch the bright morning to noon sun, but maybe it is because in the hot afternoon, it would be the shady side.

Now, as many of you know from my Sunday Post, I went down the river on Saturday as far as Galiopolis and through on 141 to Northup, Ohio, where I visited the cemetary. I found out that things get a little better further South, but up here where I am at, this is poor man's country. I don't really know where main-stream USA is, but it is not the Upper Ohio River Valley. This place is poor. It would be cliche to say they are too poor to leave, but I know for a fact they are too poor to tear down their old run-down houses. As I said to Rick Friday, who works with me, if you went up and down the street and tried to figure out which one out of ten you ought to try and save, you would be hard-pressed to make that decision. They all gotta go.

This really tells you something about that Catholic Chaplain I was telling you about earlier who wanted to serve the parrish here and in Youngstown rather than retiring after 20 years in the Air Force to some nice place like Florida or Southern California, or even maybe Katy, Texas.

At any rate, I want you all to know, that I think I have figured out my purpose in life. It is to BLOG my very controversial opinions all over the Internet to whoever wants to chime in and give me their opposing opinions. Anything is fair game. When I do my observing, I am going to make some mental notes and when I come home to BLOG, I am going to tell it as I see it, and I will promise to read and respond to anything you post. I may choose to delete a few obnoxious remarks, like the one from the guy Argus, who thought Gary's picture was funny. I LOVE that picture of Cousin, Gary. BLOG You, Argus!!

I know there are people out there who agree with me, too. I think Bill Maher agrees with me pretty much. He is an unabashed Liberal. I think I am an Abashed Liberal. At any rate, if you agree with me, to Heck with all those others guys you think you might offend, tell me about it. I wanna hear it, even if they don't.

I'll tell you something said the younger blogger boy of foolish intent...but you might not want to here it.

8 comments:

Rawknee said...

Hey great discovery this site on the upper Ohio. Quite a nice bunch of pictures. Sometimes a person gets to a situation conducive to researching his surroundings. Looks like you're getting that opportunity. Learn well my freind.
Rawknee

NorthRock said...

Well can we tell who of these three has the most time on thier hands?

BINGO ahywho... you feel free to post you blog opionions and if they don't like it, they can read someone else's blog or start thier own....

no mom is not a member of my blog page yet and yes I am saddly dissappointed that as the admin of a valid blog I cannot use more extensive html comments or blogs...can't even change the color around in a comment...but it will just have to do.

as to the photo's pretty cool as I see that you linked the other page to your blog....would that be blatent blog infringment or blog link infraction?...who cares it works and it is neat.

Rick Northup said...

You can use very limited HTML tags. I am using "b" on this one to make the writing appear Bold. Like Larry says, he is disappointed he can't change the color in comments. Comments are meant to be bland. The main post has more flexibility. You have to learn to post your Blogs from the Dashboard and then you can do more like what your e-mail does. As far as the chat, you have to go to "Hello" for that. Linda, Larry, Faith and I were all on tonight at the same time.

NorthRock said...

Dad I see that you havn't noticed what I did... he he he keep looking I answered a question of yours within this blog.

Rick Northup said...

Yeah, I saw it, you Blogging Rock Head.

NorthRock said...

Ha Ha Ha... just thought I would mess with your head a little

Rawknee said...

Hey
you guy's insert crap into each others blogs all the time, and I'm treated like some kind of virus when I get cute eh?
Rawkneepee

Rick Northup said...

we're just blogging your Chain, RawKnee. We like it when you do that....To a Point. That's what's fun about it. I did think Larry came down on you kinda hard, but if it really bothers you what he did, you can change what he said, Like I did when he did the same to me. Or delete him from your Team if he continues to annoy you. I'd delete him in a flash if he did that to me.